Saturday, July 8, 2006

Phase 2 complete

More successes to report:
  • hubby and I (as in he looked after this until I got home from work last night) ran Windows Update last night as much as it took to get my copy of Windows fully up-to-date and protected with all the latest security patches; all seems to be well on that front now
  • my video card and sound card are working well with their new drivers (hubby installed the video card; I sort of installed the sound card, but Windows Update actually did it for me)
  • I have re-installed Norton Antivirus and it has recognized that I already had a subscription to the updates service, so I didn't have to pay anything
  • I have re-installed Firefox and it is working well (though soon I will have to go through the advice some people left me on the MozillaZine forum to figure out how to configure a particular aspect of it--to do with bookmarks and tabbed browsing--the way I want it...hooray for open source software that can be freely "tweaked" like this :)!); I have also gone through all the bookmarks files I had found on my computer pre-wipe (and saved to go through), deleted duplicate entries between those files and re-bookmarked the very essentials; I will decide later what non-essentials will earn the right to be placed back in my new bookmarks file.
  • I have reinstalled both my spam blocker and Mozilla Thunderbird and they are working with each other just fine; it looks like I managed to keep pretty much all my e-mails and settings for both from their pre-wipe stages, and I've also implemented a new way to organize my e-mails (and I think I am liking it so far).
I still have to reinstall my instant messengers, all my Palm software, Quicken (and make sure I managed to keep all my profiles/files/settings/etc. for all of the above), and Microsoft Office (besides some little fiddly things like my printer drivers and my spyware remover), and I'll also need to update World of Warcraft to the most current version (and install Ventrilo so I can talk to my WoW guildmates with my headset). Phew...okay, back to it!

No comments: