Friday, July 7, 2006

Phase 1 complete

My husband called me earlier today to report the following successes:
  • my hard drive has been successfully formatted
  • Windows has been successfully reinstalled on my computer
  • my backup information has been successfully put back on my backup partition (which he had copied to his backup partition when it became evident that my backup partition was also going to need to be wiped as part of the overall wipe of my hard drive)
  • my computer can connect to the Internet

This means that when I get home (yes, I am at work right now, but this is one of those periods at work where I am waiting for someone to give me a game sheet to enter the stats from or something else to do and am allowed to entertain myself in the meantime), I will be able to download and reinstall all my programs and check to see if I'll be able to re-integrate my backed-up settings/e-mails/etc. with the new installation of all my programs. That's the really nerve-wracking part. I mean, anyone can wipe their hard drive clean, reinstall Windows and start fresh. The question is: did I lose just the information that I wanted to (all my unused files/programs/etc. that led to me wanting to do a wipe in the first place), or will I find myself banging my head on my desk with a big "NOOOOOO!"?

I'll let you know which of those two options turns out to be reality in a day or two :).

No comments: