Saturday, July 1, 2006

Happy Canada Day!

So it's Canada Day today. I had intended to celebrate the day by going to a fun "share your culture" event our church is putting on, including food and music and games from various countries that people from our church are from. That didn't happen, though; I have decided to do my next road test in Aurora, and my dad decided today would be a good day for us to drive out there and see what driving in Aurora is like (see, many years ago I tried to do a road test in Oshawa, but Oshawa is so different from Scarborough that I got very, very nervous when we went out to explore the roads there on the same day as my road test, and that nervousness is likely what made me fail that road test on the way out of the examination centre's parking lot and led to me giving up on driving for many years). Well, we headed out for Aurora at about 10:45 a.m., stopped for a Harvey's lunch at about 12:30 p.m. or so after doing some driving around Aurora, then headed back to Scarborough and got back here at about 1:40 p.m....not too long before the cultural event was scheduled to start, and I wasn't in a going-out mood anymore...I'd had my going-out for the day. Anyway, I still feel like we celebrated Canada Day because we got to see parts of the country that we don't normally see, even if they are practically in our backyard...and they are really nice parts, full of lots of trees and other greenery...and lots of roads on which I am allowed to go 80 km/h (the fastest I can go with my G1 license), woohoo! (Oh, by the way, Emma, I woulda stopped to see ya but I didn't think my dad would be keen on it. When I get my license, though, I still fully intend to come see ya sometimes! I can also see why you moved out there; it is sooo nice in Aurora.) Okay, yes, I do still intend to walk places rather than drive where that is practical, but it is not practical when it comes to going to Aurora, so I will enjoy the fast roads when I can get 'em :).

Something else I did today: I got a new bed! Well, not really. Martin and I have noticed that our boxspring keeps slipping through the bedframe lately, so we decided to fix that, but since we were going to be moving the mattress and boxspring to do this I decided we might as well go ahead and try the idea I've had for a while of converting our bed from a canopy bed to something a little more, um, canopy-less. The canopy bed I bought us ages ago has turned out to be cheap as the side rails have developed a noticeable bow, though that could possibly be due to our having turned the screws too tight when we put it together or our accidentally sitting/stepping on the curtains sometimes (which pulls on that rail) rather than the bed being cheap, too. Still, next time I decide to try a canopy bed I will look for side rails that are all one piece rather than two that fit together (if those even exist). Anyways. The curtains turned out to be not as romantic an idea as I'd dreamed years ago that they would be (or maybe my choice of navy blue curtains to go with our sheets/comforters/etc. was a bad idea, who knows) and they kept getting in the way of our feet/vacumn cleaner/etc. (yeah, I thought of shortening them, but I'm too lazy to do that or even take them to an alterationist, and that wouldn't fix the problem of them not being as romantic as I'd imagined, either), so down they came. This bed came with these globe-shaped decorations that were supposed to go at the tops of the posts, but we couldn't get them on in the canopy setup as our ceiling is too low; now that we've taken down the half-posts that you use to make the bed into a canopy bed, though, the globes fit on the headboard and footboard that we left attached to the bedframe, and the bed looks really nice. I think it may even feel more grown-up. The bedroom certainly feels bigger now that you can see from wall to wall in both directions, and it is brighter, too, now that the pot lights on each side of the bed are no longer kept by the curtains from reaching the other side of the room. Maybe I will take a picture and post it, if I ever get my digicam back from Jen. Anyway, I'm happy, and I did a thorough vacumning in there (I even did under where the bed normally is while the mattress and boxspring were flipped up), so that has made my day. Go us (as in me and Martin, who fixed our mattress-slipping-through-the-bedframe problem and helped me with everything else)! I still have some clutter in there to work on, but that is the story with the rest of the house, too (especially the living room, which is the room I want to work on having less of a dorm room/rec room feel the most)...baby steps...I'll get there eventually, bit by bit.

No comments: