Tuesday, March 27, 2007

What I did in class today (a.k.a. my origami journey)

Seen here are the frog I learned to make in class in grade 3, the ninja stars I learned to make at the Japanese cultural centre in grade 5, and the box I learned to make from a guest speaker that came to my B.Ed. class this past Monday morning.

How it started: The mild emotional trauma many in my program have been experiencing the last couple days led me to seek relief today during our 15-minute break in some form of sugar that would last around me a little longer than chocolate, which ended up being Starburst candies. Eating the candies reminded me of that old commercial where some chick puts a red Starburst wrapper in her mouth, then pulls a red origami crane out of her mouth a short time later...and the take-off of that Martin and I did at Todd and Lindsey's wedding (good times, good times). That and the colourful wrappers and the need to distract myself somewhat from further trauma inspired me to get folding; thankfully my course directors and professors seem to understand my need to add "enrichment" to my classroom experience ;).

Hmm, I forgot until now that I could also have made some of the boxes I learned to make in class in grade 8 (which we were to teach our grade 3 reading buddies to make as a special Christmas project); maybe next time.

Notice the neat way in which the stars fit inside the box...it's like a quiver of ninja stars. I'm so organized, I even have a place for my weapons and my weapons in their place :P. They aren't very accessible for a quick draw, though; oh well.

I think Starburst are going to return to being my non-chocolate candy of choice, since they have the same fruit-flavoured punch, chewy texture and ability to last longer around me (and therefore medicate me longer) than chocolate (which gets inhaled quickly, meaning that it really is not around long enough to serve as the medication I may be trying to use it as at the time). Also, while they lack the satisfying candy crunch factor, Starburst do not make my jaw hurt after some time in the same way that Skittles do...and Skittles do not have colourful happiness-inducing wrappers. (Oh, by the way, lest you all be worried, I am mostly joking about using sugar as medication here, though today was particularly bad at the point that I was intentionally seeking out soemething like the Starburst.)

Alright, enough procrastinating. See some of you in class tomorrow. I hope tomorrow's speaker from Environment Canada is better than the lady from a different organization who talked to us about climate change :T.

No comments: