Friday, March 9, 2007

Bring on the Break!

Woohoo, March Break starts today! I still have to do some teaching between now and then, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. If my grade 10 applied science students are good, they will get to play Motion Bingo today (they create their bingo cards from a provided list of words from the physics/motion unit, then we take turns drawing cue cards that have those words on them), complete with sugar-filled prizes. My grade 11 university-preparation-level chemistry students are doing presentations today of posters they've created on municipal and home water treatment. They get 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour to finish up their posters and consult with their groups before doing their presentations, and then they do all sorts of group, self and peer assessments and take notes from each other's posters. All in all, it will be an easy day for me...intentionally so, because it seems like every teacher I've talked to is burnt out at this time of year, and we student teachers are feeling it, too. Thankfully, we have our ways of getting the students to learn while still giving ourselves a break :).

My plans for the Break are fairly unspectacular; sleep, apply for teaching jobs, read the novel I bought yesterday (The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan - book 3 of the Wheel of Time series), get a haircut, go for my physical, wash the car, spend the gift certificates I haven't had the chance to since my b-day or even Christmas (new clothes! woohoo!), hope that Reitman's will still exchange the too-big pants my husband got me for my b-day, and generally get caught up on this, that and the other thing (housework? what is housework? student teachers have no time for it, whatever it is). Oh, and teach Vacation Bible School from about 9 to noon every weekday. Yeah, I know, I'm supposed to be taking a break from teaching; I guess I'm some sort of teaching addict.

Yikes, look at the time; I'd better run and get ready, because I have to beat Photocopier Lady to the punch this morning if I'm going to do all I want to do with my students...

No comments: