Friday, September 29, 2006

Field trip day, hooray!

Today I and a bunch of other people from my program are going to the Ontario Science Centre. "Real" teachers get into the OSC for free, but since we're not real teachers yet we don't get that privilege...or at least we wouldn't if one of our course directors, Maurice, didn't have connections :). To get free admission (though, as I understand it, not free parking nor a free IMAX ticket), no more than 40 of us can go (there are 59 of us in my program, but I know some people had reasons that they didn't want to go Friday--such as they were going to be visiting family in Edmonton this weekend or whatnot--and went Wednesday or another time instead, though they did have to pay) and we have to meet at a particular spot at 10:15 a.m. Can I just say that I love the Science Centre and I am excited that I "get" to go back there today? I actually have to go there this time as we are expected to go see the exhibit "A Question of Truth" before Wednesday (when we will be exploring the topic "the nature of science" and I will also be participating in the formal debate), but that's definitely not the only part of the OSC I'll be looking at (especially as I think I've actually been to that exhibit before). I was looking at the website and I don't think I've been there since they added certain features, such as the Teluscape "outdoor experience area" and the Weston Family Innovation Centre; I don't think I've seen an IMAX Dome film at the OSC yet, either (one of my course directors recommends the Bugs film among other for connections to the Ontario curriculum; one of my classmates saw it when she went to the OSC on Monday and tells me it was amazing). Well, I'd better go get ready to go now. I just love a good field trip!

[Maurice]'s taking us to the [OSC today],
[OSC today], [OSC today];
[Maurice]'s taking us to the [OSC today],
We can stay all day [or at least until they close at 5 p.m.].

(Chorus:)
We're going to the [OSC], [OSC], [OSC];
[We get in for free, free, free]
You can come [with me, me, me - but not for free!]
We're going to the [OSC], [OSC], [OSC].

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'd love to go to the OSC. I use to "know people" but I'm not connected anymore. One day I'll get around to going again. Maybe Levon could be my excuse.

MiraFabulous said...

I love the science Centre too!!
I think the last tme I went was for Andrew's birthday with Laura and Andrew.

We could plan our own field trip.
:)

Joy said...

No excuse is needed to go to the OSC. It's not just for kids. Ok, there is a Kidspark area now for kids 8 and under, and there are some things that grown-ups might look funny doing (such as crawling through a tube on the ground in the Teluscape...following a little one through would probably be the only way to make that look okay), but there's a lot more to the OSC than that. If you need an excuse, take me along :)...then you can say, "She's [going to be] a teacher and she's here getting ideas for field trips and her classroom; we're just keeping her company." That way I get to go again, too :). Once I'm actually a teacher who gets to go for free, I think it would only be fair for me to share the savings with my group.