Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Well then.

Well, I'm not working today. Or tomorrow. Or for a while. I called work last night to see if we'd been given our new schedule yet; the girl I used to work with 99% of the time, Carrie, was there, and she was surprised that I hadn't been called yet as the person who made the schedule was supposed to have called all of us former-guest-services-and-now-customer-service-representatives gals. As far as I know we don't have an "office manager" yet--the person who is the "boss" for the guest services people--as the posting is still up online, but someone had come in from B.C. and made a schedule for us and who knows what else (perhaps she is the person who will be interviewing people for the office manager position). Then Carrie looked at the schedule for me and told me that I wasn't on it for this week. Then she kept looking and said that I wasn't on it for the rest of August. Carrie used to work there practically every day (usually with me, like I said), and she is now only scheduled for 1 shift a week. I know as the closing date approached she said at one point that she was worried because she had been there the shortest amount of time of all the regular girls (she had been there a year; only me and one other girl have been there for any shorter amount of time); I think maybe whoever made this schedule must have gone by seniority in deciding who to leave off the schedule. That the schedule is pared down compared to what it used to be isn't terribly shocking; we always knew that there would be fewer shifts in a week once we got owners (during the bankruptcy we had 2 guest services people on each night and we knew we'd likely go back to one person each night once we got owners). Also, at the meeting that I went to that our new general manager ran before the closing to give us our job offers and tell us about Canlan, he had said (when asked about how much availability part-timers needed to have) that consistency was important; they would rather the schedule of people working look the same from week to week so that the teams that play on Tuesday always see the same people, etc., so that if they have an issue they need to talk about and get follow-up on they have some consistency in who their contact person/people is/are. That's probably why they didn't even put me on every other week or on some other infrequent schedule.

Anyway, I'm not upset that I'm not on the schedule (a bit of a break between working and starting school Aug. 28 isn't a bad thing), but I am upset about the way that Canlan handled this. They have practically laid me off without so much as a phone call or an e-mail. I think I will probably get in touch with the general manager (since we don't have an office manager yet) and ask about this just to clarify whether I am still being on their list of people to keep in mind or if I have been laid off. For now, I am on vacation.

1 comment:

WestsideKef said...

That's dumb. Let's hope it's just a lost in the confusion kind of thing because I don't know if I'd want to work for a company that treated its employees that way.