Thursday, January 25, 2007

My fundamental problem

I think I know what my fundamental problem is: much of the time, I am lazy. Even the best organizational system in the world is not the cure for laziness (though the better the system, the better I can take advantage of my non-lazy moments), so I have to figure out a new tactic. See, if I'm lazy, I may have a great to-do list (or, in GTD terms, an amazing Next Actions list), but if I'm not tending to those items on a regular basis rather than playing video games, I will still run into the problem that the day before something is due I'll suddenly have to hit panic mode and stay up until the wee hours of the morning trying to get done things that should have been done ages ago. This time of year I always find particularly bad in terms of flagging motivation; I don't know if it's whatever you call a mild version of SAD (since I'm sure Mira would tell me SAD is a clinical disorder that seriously interferes with one's life, not just mild winter blues) or feeling a little burned out from the pressures of the school year I've had to face to this point or what, I just know I'm not where I need to be. I do know that when I do get myself moving around, regardless of the time of year, my energy level goes up. As I start to get things accomplished, I get the energy to accomplish more (provided it's not in the wee hours of the morning already). It all comes down to that starting moment, that first firm decision (as in something I make and follow up on, not make and then say, "but later") to fight against procrastination.

You know, when I started writing this blog entry, I was going to ask you what you do to fight against your own laziness/procrastination/lack of motivation, but I can see now that I know what the answer is for me. I am going to keep having fun for, oh, another hour or so (unless I get bored of WoW before the hour or so is up...thankfully I've learned how to get the timer function working in WoW again that will count down from a time I set and alert me when my self-imposed time is up), and then I'm going to sit down and do some GTD stuff to get an idea of what all I have to work on. Then I will do at least 3 things that are on my list; maybe 2 or 3 simple things and something requiring a bit more time (perhaps a reading or marking some lab reports). However, if you do have tips for beating procrastination, I'd love to hear them; perhaps my other readers can gain some insight from them, too.

By the way, Martin and I will be celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary this Saturday, hooray! I am attending an education conference in the daytime (partly for my own professional growth, but admittedly partly to give my résumé some more "oomph"), but hubby and I will be sure to do something to celebrate after I get home. We'll definitely do dinner. I'm thinking we may see a movie, too. Has anyone seen "Freedom Writers"? I've read good things about it, and it is about a teacher making a difference...or is that too career-related for a date movie ;)?

Alright, less blogging and more WoW-playing until it's time to start GTD. Later...

No comments: