Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Geek vs. nerd

I think between my Blogger readers and my Facebook friends we should be able to figure this out. I remember Laura telling me once that her friends at UofT together figured out what the difference is between a nerd and a geek. I think one had to do with having a high intelligence/knowing lots of stuff whereas the other had to do with having a lot of technical know-how, but I don't remember if that was indeed the distinction or which was which. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even matter when it comes to defining me, because I'm pretty sure I have a good smattering of both, lol (c'mon, my favourite university courses were the ones in quantum chemistry/physics and I play D&D...'nuff said). So...can anyone (Laura? Mira?) remind me what the distinction was, or make up a reasonable facsimile of the original definition? Don't ask me why I want to know, lest I have to explain the random ways in which my brain works when I have too much time on my hands :P. Oh, and yes, I know that the word "geek" originally had to do with a circus freak who would bite the heads off of chickens and such, but somehow I don't think that is in any way relevant to this discussion.

3 comments:

WestsideKef said...

Here's how I heard it described once:

Most nerds don't know they're nerds and get upset when you call them nerds. A geek has thrown his arms up and shouted to the heavens, "Yes I can recite the entire script of The Princess Bride, and I don't care who knows it!"

~Surrender!
~Oh, you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.

Joy said...

Heeheehee...actually, I used to have that very piece of dialogue down in my "Favourite quotes" section on Facebook. One of the quotes there is still the following:

"Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's five hundredth anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped!"

MiraFabulous said...

Hee hee hee this is fun, can we turn it into a contest?

We face each other as God intended. Sportsmanlike. No tricks, no weapons, skill against skill alone.

You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

I could kill you now.

I think the odds are slightly in your favor at hand fighting.

It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise.